[Numpy-discussion] Python egg support in Numeric 24.2 in CVS

David M. Cooke cookedm at physics.mcmaster.ca
Wed Nov 9 20:41:56 EST 2005

I've added support to Numeric to allow a Python egg [1] to be made
easily. Basically, run

$ python setup.py bdist_egg

and an .egg file should be laid in dist/, which you can install with
easy_install. This will only work if you have setuptools installed.
I've taken steps so that usual 'setup.py build; setup.py install'
will still install Numeric the old way (with a .pth file).

The header files for Numeric are now also installed in a package
Numeric_headers, which contains a function get_numeric_include().
This returns the directory in which the headers are installed in, so
you can use it in your setup.py. The docstring for the function
explains how to use it. It's modelled after get_scipy_include() in
scipy.base. This way, the header files are included in the egg, and
can be used.

I'd appreciate it if someone with eggperience (Robert?) could take a
look at it before Travis collects Numeric for 24.2.

[1] http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/PythonEggs