[Numpy-discussion] Final release of Numeric is actually 24.1

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Mon Nov 7 09:10:51 EST 2005

khinsen at cea.fr wrote:

> On Nov 4, 2005, at 7:51, Travis Oliphant wrote:
>
>> I do hope people are encouraged to move toward scipy core,  however.
>> It is stabilizing
>

> Has anyone actually done this for a non-trivial package? What stops
> me from even trying scipy.core is the large number of incompatible
> changes, even though they are mostly superficial.

There is a module called convertcode.py (in scipy/base) that will make
nearly all of the required changes.   We used it to convert all of scipy
over and it was pretty effective.

I can understand an installed base may find it more difficult to
switch.  That's why we are working hard to get scipy core out of beta as
soon as possible.  Immediately, we are really looking for people who
are willing to run their code so we can track down remaining problems.

-Travis