[SciPy-user] Re: [SciPy-dev] Re: [Numpy-discussion] Purchasing Documentation

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 05:31:25 EDT 2005

Hi Travis,

So, can I summarize for my own benefit?

I think we all agree that software without documentation is not
usable, and therefore that free software requires that the basic
documentation also be free.

Obviously if the _basic_ documentation is not free, this will
dramatically reduce software uptake.

And I think we all also agree that there is no problem of any sort
with not-free documentation that expands in a useful way on the basic
documentation.

So, just to clarify - does Fenando win his bet (was it dollars or
doughnuts)?  Are you happy for the community to write and release free
basic documentation for scipy.base?

Thanks a lot,

Matthew