[Numpy-discussion] ANN: numarray-1.4.1

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Fri Oct 28 11:00:32 EDT 2005

Francesc Altet wrote:

>Hi Todd,
>
>I've just installed numarray 1.4.1 and pass my tests over it.
>Everything goes well, except some small detail:
>
>Python 2.4.2 (#2, Sep 29 2005, 00:23:59)
>[GCC 4.0.2 (Debian 4.0.1-9)] on linux2
>Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.

>'24.0b2'

>'1.4.1'

>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>TypeError: expected a writeable buffer object
>

>This worked in 1.3.x and before.
>
>I hope that this is not the intended behaviour.

This looks like a coordinated change in both numarray and Numeric.
(Travis?)  I updated to Numeric-24.0 and all was well.

It appears the __array_data__ protocol improved to know about
readonly-ness.  In order to support the readonly behavior in numarray,
I think the change must be made in lockstep.  We could however back out
support for readonly while Numeric-24.0 becomes more pervasive.

Regards,
Todd