[Numpy-discussion] Re: Release of SciPy Core 0.4 (Beta)

Eric Firing efiring at hawaii.edu
Sun Oct 2 18:17:42 EDT 2005

Travis,

> This is to announce the release of SciPy Core 0.4.X (beta)

Wonderful progress--I can't thank you enough for the work you are doing
on this.

I initially tried to build from the tarball, but ran into missing pieces:

compile options: '-Iscipy/base/include -Ibuild/src/scipy/base
-Iscipy/base/src -I/usr/include/python2.4 -c'
gcc: lapack_lite/blas_lite.c
gcc: lapack_lite/blas_lite.c: No such file or directory
gcc: no input files

I then installed from the rpm (on a Mandriva 2005 LE system) with no
problems, and proceeded to poke around.  It looks great!

> Now, let's start getting this stable....

Bug: in function_base.py, there are four places where "nx" should be
"_nx"; see attached diff.

Also attached is a diff for arraymethods, to fix what look to me like
erroneous docstrings for the reshape and resize methods.  The present
docstrings indicate that reshape makes the change in place, and resize
returns a new array, but in both cases the opposite is true--reshape
returns a reshaped copy, and resize returns None.

Eric