[Numpy-discussion] Re: asarray behaviour

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Oct 13 09:58:00 EDT 2005

Colin J. Williams wrote:
> I'm puzzled by this.  There is already a matrix class which should
> construct a matrix instance from a list, tuple or array or any subclass
> of array - I haven't tested all of these.

A) I was speaking generically. I haven't made use of any particular
matrix class myself.

B) I assume the standard matrix() constructor always creates a copy of
the data, much like the NumPy array() constructor. In this case, the
discussion was about the behavior of asarray(), which creates a new
array if the argument is not an array, but returns the argument
untouched if it already is an array. I was proposing that a matrix
package (and any other subclass of ndarray) could benefit from a similar
function.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov