[Numpy-discussion] Release of scipy core beta will happen next week.

Gerard Vermeulen gerard.vermeulen at grenoble.cnrs.fr
Sun Sep 25 10:16:05 EDT 2005

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 22:51:27 -0600
Travis Oliphant <oliphant at ee.byu.edu> wrote:

> At the SciPy 2005 conference I announced that I was hoping to get a beta
> of the new scipy (core) (aka Numeric3 aka Numeric Next Generation)
> released by the end of the conference.
>
> This did not happen.  Some last minute features were suggested by
> Fernando Perez that I think will be relatively easy to add and make the
> release that much stronger.
>
> Look for the beta announcement next week.
>
> For the impatient,  the svn server is always available:
>
> http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy_core/branches/newcore

Hi Travis,

when I tried a few months ago to compile one of my C++ Python modules with
Numeric3, g++-3.4.3 choked on the line

typedef unsigned char bool;

in arrayobject.h, because bool is a predefined type in C++.

I see the offending line is still in SVN (did not try to build it though).

Sorry for sitting on the bug so long;  the main reason is that at the time
(I suppose it is still the case) Numeric3 does not coexist well with
Numeric in the same Python interpreter (I remember import conflicts).
If a typical Linux user wants to play with Numeric3, he has either to remove
Numeric (and break possible dependencies) or build his own Python for Numeric3.
I think that most Linux users are not going to do this and that it will take more
than a year before distros make the move.  Hence, my lack of motivation for
reporting bugs or giving it a real try.

Gerard