[Numpy-discussion] python-numeric in FC4: good idea?

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Sun Sep 25 11:40:25 EDT 2005

In my ongoing struggles with FC4, I now find that the Fedora developers
have put Numeric 23.7 into the core as python-numeric and built pygtk2
against it, so the latter has a dependency on the former.

I think this is a bad idea unless the core developers are going to
include ATLAS and build Numeric against it.  After all, this community
and the Scipy one have gone to great lengths to optimize ATLAS and build
Numeric and numarray (and presumably the new scipy core) against it.
But I'm probably not going to convince the Redhat folks on my own.

So, questions are:  can someone more familiar with pygtk2 than me tell
me what parts of it depend on Numeric and why?  Can we start a campaign
to put ATLAS into Fedora Core if Numeric is going to be there too?