[Numpy-discussion] Re: Vote: complex64 vs complex128

Tim Hochberg tim.hochberg at cox.net
Mon Apr 3 22:49:02 EDT 2006

Robert Kern wrote:

>Sebastian Haase wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>Could we start another poll on this !?
>>

>Please, let's leave voting as a method of last resort.
>

>>I think I would vote
>>+1  for complex32 & complex64  mostly just because of "that's what I'm
>>used to"
>>
>>But I'm curious to hear what others "know to be in use" - e.g. Matlab or
>>IDL !
>>

>On the merits of the issue, I like the new scheme better. For whatever reason, I
>tend to remember it when coding. With Numeric, I would frequently second-guess
>myself and go to the prompt and tab-complete to look at all of the options and
>reason out the one I wanted.

I can't bring myself to care. I almost always use dtype=complex and on
the rare times I don't I can never remember what the scheme is
regardless of which scheme it is / was / will be. On the other hand, if
the scheme was Complex32x2 and Complex64x2, I could probably decipher
what  that was without looking it up. It is is a little ugly and weird I
admit, but that probably wouldn't bother me.

Regards,

-tim