[Numpy-discussion] Vote: complex64 vs complex128

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 08:16:07 EDT 2006

I can't get worked up over this one way or the other: complex128 make sense
if I count bits, complex64 makes sense if I note precision; I just have to
remember the numpy convention. One could argue that complex64 is the more
conventional choice and so has the virtue of least surprise, but I don't
think it is terribly difficult to become accustomed to using complex128 in
its place. I suppose this is one of those programmer's vs user's point of
view thingees. For the guy writing general low level numpy code what matters
is the length of the type, how many bytes have to be moved and so on, and
from the other point of view what counts is the precision of the arithmetic.

Chuck