[Numpy-discussion] Performance problems with strided arrays in NumPy

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Wed Apr 19 20:44:02 EDT 2006

faltet at xot.carabos.com wrote:

>On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 09:48:14PM +0000, faltet at xot.carabos.com wrote:
>

>>On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 09:01:54PM -0600, Travis Oliphant wrote:
>>

>>>Apparently,  it is *much* faster to do
>>>
>>>((double *)dst)[0] = ((double *)src)[0]
>>>
>>>when you have aligned data than it is to do
>>>
>>>memmove(dst, src, sizeof(double))
>>>

>>Mmm.. very interesting.
>>

>A follow-up on this.  After analyzing somewhat the issue, it seems that
>the problem with the memcpy() version was not the call itself, but the
>parameter that was passed as the number of bytes to copy. As this was a
>parameter whose value was unknown in compile time, the compiler cannot
>generate optimized code for it and always has to fetch its value from
>memory (or cache).
>

>In the version of the code that you optimized, you managed to do this
>because you are telling to the compiler (i.e. specifying at compile
>time) the exact extend of the data copy, so allowing it to generate
>optimum code for the copy operation. However, if you do a similar
>thing but using the call (using doubles here):
>
>memcpy(tout, tin, 8);
>
>instead of:
>
>((Float64 *)tout)[0] = ((Float64 *)tin)[0];
>
>and repeat the operation for the other types, then you can achieve
>similar performance than the pointer version.

This is good to know.  It certainly makes sense.  I'll test it on my
system when I get back.

>On another hand, I see that you have disabled the optimization for
>unaligned data through the use of a check. Is there any reason for
>doing that?  If I remove this check, I can achieve similar performance
>than for numarray (a bit better, in fact).

The only reason was to avoid pointer dereferencing on misaligned data
(dereferencing a misaligned pointer causes bus errors on Solaris).
But, if we can achieve it with a memmove, then there is no reason to
limit the code.

> [...]
>results for my machine (p4 at 2 GHz) are:
>
>For the original numpy code (i.e. before Travis optimization):
>
>time for numpy contiguous --> 0.234
>time for numarray contiguous --> 0.229
>time for numpy strided (2) --> 1.605
>time for numarray strided (2) --> 0.263
>time for numpy strided (10) --> 1.72
>time for numarray strided (10) --> 0.264
>time for numpy strided (2) & unaligned--> 1.736
>time for numarray strided (2) & unaligned--> 0.402
>time for numpy strided (10) & unaligned--> 1.872
>time for numarray strided (10) & unaligned--> 0.435
>
>where you can see that, for 1e6 elements the slowdown of original
>numpy is almost 7x (!). Remember that in the previous benchmarks sent
>here the slowdown was 3x, but we were copying 10 times less data.
>
>For the pointer optimised code (i.e. the current SVN version):
>
>time for numpy contiguous --> 0.238
>time for numarray contiguous --> 0.232
>time for numpy strided (2) --> 0.214
>time for numarray strided (2) --> 0.264
>time for numpy strided (10) --> 0.299
>time for numarray strided (10) --> 0.262
>time for numpy strided (2) & unaligned--> 1.736
>time for numarray strided (2) & unaligned--> 0.401
>time for numpy strided (10) & unaligned--> 1.874
>time for numarray strided (10) & unaligned--> 0.433
>
>here you can see that your figures are very similar to numarray except
>for unaligned data (4x slower).
>
>For the pointer optimised code but releasing the unaligned data check:
>
>time for numpy contiguous --> 0.236
>time for numarray contiguous --> 0.231
>time for numpy strided (2) --> 0.213
>time for numarray strided (2) --> 0.262
>time for numpy strided (10) --> 0.297
>time for numarray strided (10) --> 0.261
>time for numpy strided (2) & unaligned--> 0.263
>time for numarray strided (2) & unaligned--> 0.403
>time for numpy strided (10) & unaligned--> 0.452
>time for numarray strided (10) & unaligned--> 0.432
>
>Ei! numpy is very similar to numarray in all cases, except for the
>strided with 2 elements and unaligned case, where numpy performs a 50%
>better.
>
>Finally, and just for showing the effect of providing memcpy with size
>information in compilation time, the numpy code using memcpy() with
>this optimization on (and disabling the alignment check, of course!):
>
>time for numpy contiguous --> 0.234
>time for numarray contiguous --> 0.233
>time for numpy strided (2) --> 0.223
>time for numarray strided (2) --> 0.262
>time for numpy strided (10) --> 0.285
>time for numarray strided (10) --> 0.262
>time for numpy strided (2) & unaligned--> 0.261
>time for numarray strided (2) & unaligned--> 0.401
>time for numpy strided (10) & unaligned--> 0.42
>time for numarray strided (10) & unaligned--> 0.436
>
>you can see that the figures are very similar to the previous case. So
>Travis, you may want to use the pointer indirection approach or the
>memcpy() one, whichever you prefer.
>
>Well, I just wanted to point this out. Time for sleep!

Very, very useful information.  1000 Thank you's for talking the time to
investigate and assemble it.   Do you think the memmove would work
similarly?

-Travis