[Numpy-discussion] Problems building numpy

Rick Muller rmuller at sandia.gov
Mon Apr 24 09:12:13 EDT 2006

Numpy really builds nicely now, and I appreciate all of the hard work
that people have put into portability of this code.

That being said, I just had my first system where Numpy failed to
build. It's on a redhat 7.3 (yes, we have a 7.3 box. I didn't believe
it either. not my decision.) and I get the following error when
trying to run Numpy:

Python 2.4.3 (#1, Apr 24 2006, 09:54:46)
[GCC 3.2.3 20030502 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-42)] on linux2
 >>> from numpy import array
import linalg -> failed: /usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/
linalg/lapack_lite.so: undefined symbol: s_wsfe

If this is easy to fix, I'd prefer to fix it. However, if the numpy
developers have better things to do than to support a 10-year-old
operating system (and I suspect that they do), I'm cool with that.

Rick

Rick Muller
rmuller at sandia.gov