[Numpy-discussion] first impressions with numpy

Sebastian Haase haase at msg.ucsf.edu
Sun Apr 2 17:09:07 EDT 2006

Tim Hochberg wrote:
<snip>
> This would work fine if repr were instead:
>
>    dtype([('x', float64), ('z', complex128)])
>
> Anyway, this all seems reasonable to me at first glance. That said, I
> don't plan to work on this, I've got other fish to fry at the moment.

A new point: Please remind me (and probably others): when did it get
decided to introduce 'complex128' to mean numarray's complex64
and the 'complex64' to mean numarray's complex32 ?

I do understand the logic that 128 is really the bit-size of one
(complex) element - but I also liked the old way, because:
1. e.g. in fft transforms, float32 would "go with" complex32
    and float64 with complex64
2. complex128 is one character extra (longer) and also (alphabetically)
now sorts before(!) complex64
3 Mostly of course: this new naming will confuse all my code and
introduce hard to find bugs - when I see complex64 I will "think" the
old way for quite some time ...

These might just be my personal (idiotic ;-) comments - but I would
appreciate some feedback/comments.
Also: Is it now to late to (re-)start a discussion on this !?

Thanks
- Sebastian Haase