[Numpy-discussion] NumPy documentation

Pau Gargallo pau.gargallo at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 02:44:03 EDT 2006

On 4/5/06, Perry Greenfield <perry at stsci.edu> wrote:

> On Apr 5, 2006, at 12:36 PM, Christopher Barker wrote:
>
> > Zachary Pincus wrote:
> >> from Numeric (who was used to the large, free manual)
> >
> > Which brings up a question: Is the source to the old Numeric manual
> > available? it would be nice to "port" it to SciPy.
>
> Sort of. The original source was in Framemaker format. It was converted
> to the Python latex framework in the process of being adopted to
> numarray. The source for that is available on the numarray repository.
> If you want the framemaker source, I may be able to dig that up
> somewhere (or I may have lost track of it :-). Paul Dubois can likely
> provide it as well; that's who gave me the source.
>
> Perry

+1 to any support to Travis Oliphant. Your work is really helping us.

I am quite ignorant about licences and copyright things, so I would
like to know:

1.- Is it OK to just copy the old Numeric documentation to the wiki
and use it as a starting point for a more complete and updated doc?
2.- Would that be fine for the authors?

I guess it will be very useful to everyone (especially beginners) to
have an extended version of this documentation where there are many
examples of use for every function. The wiki seems a very efficient
way to build such a thing.
It will take some time to manually copy-paste everything to the wiki,
but it is doable

what do you think?

pau