[Numpy-discussion] Re: Backporting numpy to Python 2.2

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 18:58:01 EDT 2006

Tim Wegener wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am attempting to backport numpy-0.9.6 to be compatible with python 2.2. (Some of our machines run python 2.2 as part of Red Hat 9 and Red Hat 7.3 and it is hazardous to alter the standard setup.) I was able to change most of the 2.3-isms to be 2.2 compatible (see the attached patch). However I had problems compiling the following c module:

I was hoping that Travis would jump in and talk about the reasons that he
targetted 2.3 and not 2.2. I don't think that it's going to be feasible to
target 2.2 at this point. If nothing else, I've long since forgotten how to
write 2.2 code. More seriously, doing an overhaul of all of the C code in numpy
to use the older API is just going to make the code clumsier and more difficult
to maintain.

I think it is going to be much easier for you to install a second, more recent
Python interpreter on your machines than it will be for you to maintain a
2.2-compatible branch. Linux installations, even Red Hat, usually handle having
multiple versions of Python installed side by side just fine. You don't have to
remove Python 2.2.

--
Robert Kern
robert.kern at gmail.com