[Numpy-discussion] Broadcasting rules (Ticket 76).

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Mon Apr 24 14:22:02 EDT 2006

Sasha wrote:
> On 4/24/06, Travis Oliphant <oliphant.travis at ieee.org> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> A copying operation is not handled using the same rules.   In this case,
>> for example, Numeric used to raise an error but in NumPy the array will
>> be copied as many times as possible into the array.  I don't believe
>> ticket #76 is actually an error.
>>

> I disagree on the terminology.  In my view broadcasting means
> repeating the values of the array to fit into a different shape no
> matter what dictates the new shape an operand or the receiver.

I can understand that view.  But, that's not been the historical use of
broadcasting which has always been only a "ufunc" concept.   Code to
implement a broader view of broadcasting across more operations if
people decide that is appropriate could be done (carefully), but I don't
have time to write it.

-Travis