[Numpy-discussion] Warnings in NumPy SVN

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Thu Apr 27 12:58:02 EDT 2006

David M. Cooke wrote:
> Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu> writes:
>

>>Sasha wrote:

>>>I can help.  To make sure we don't duplicate our effort, let's do
>>>the following:
>>>1. I will add place-holders for all the necessary functions to make
>>>them return "NotImplemented".
>>
>>just a minor reminder:
>>
>>  raise NotImplementedError
>>
>>is the standard idiom for this.
>

> Just a note: For __xxx__ methods, "return NotImplemented" is the
> standard idiom. See section 3.3.8 (Coercion rules) of the Python 2.4
> language manual:
>
>    For most intents and purposes, an operator that returns
>    NotImplemented is treated the same as one that is not implemented
>    at all.
>
> I believe the idea is that it's not actually an error for an __xxx__
> method to not be implemented, as there are fallbacks.

You are right.  It's worth remembering that the actual syntaxes are

return NotImplemented

and

raise NotImplementedError

/without/ quotes (as per the original msg), since these are actual python
builtins, not strings.  That way they can be properly handled by their return
value or proper exception handling.

Cheers,