[Numpy-discussion] unexpected behaviour of numpy.var

Sasha ndarray at mac.com
Tue Aug 1 12:07:33 EDT 2006

I cannot reproduce your results, but I wonder if the following is right:

>>> a = array([1,2,3,4,5])
>>> var(a[newaxis,:])
array([ 0.,  0.,  0.,  0.,  0.])
>>> a[newaxis,:].var()
2.0
>>> a[newaxis,:].var(axis=0)
array([ 0.,  0.,  0.,  0.,  0.])

Are method and function supposed to have different defaults?  It looks
like the method defaults to variance over all axes while the function
defaults to axis=0.

>>> __version__
'1.0b2.dev2192'