[Numpy-discussion] bugfix-patch for numpy-1.0b2 setup

Norbert Nemec Norbert.Nemec.list at gmx.de
Sun Aug 20 06:51:52 EDT 2006

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> Norbert Nemec wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> in numpy-1.0b2 the logic in setup.py is slightly off. The attached patch
>> fixes the issue.
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Norbert
>>
>> PS: I would have preferred to submit this patch via the sourceforge
>> bug-tracker, but that seems rather confusing: there are tabs "Numarray
>> Patches" and "Numarray Bugs" but no "NumPy bugs" and the tab "Patches"
>> seems to be used for Numeric. Why isn't NumPy handled via the
>> Sourceforge page?
>>

> NumPy development happens on the SVN servers at scipy.org and
> bug-tracking is handled through the Trac system at
>
> http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy
>
> We only use sourceforge for distribution.

OK, sorry. I found this myself in the meantime. I even remember that I
stumbled over this some time ago already. Problem is: I'm submitting
bug-reports, fixes and small patches to so many different projects, that
I start mixing up the details of the individual procedures.

Furthermore: the TRAC tickets do not seem to allow attachment of
patches. Did I miss something there?

> I need more description on why the logic is not right.

The original code reads:

-----------------------

[...snip...]
            if nosmp: moredefs = [('NPY_ALLOW_THREADS', '0')]
            else: moredefs = []
[...snip...]
            if moredefs:
                target_f = open(target,'a')
                for d in moredefs:
                    if isinstance(d,str):
                        target_f.write('#define %s\n' % (d))
                    else:
                        target_f.write('#define %s %s\n' % (d[0],d[1]))
                if not nosmp:  # default is to use WITH_THREAD
                    target_f.write('#ifdef WITH_THREAD\n#define
NPY_ALLOW_THREADS 1\n#else\n#define NPY_ALLOW_THREADS 0\n#endif\n')
                target_f.close()

That is: if not nosmp, then moredefs may be empty, in which case
NPY_ALLOW_THREADS is not defined at all. My patch ensures that
NPY_ALLOW_THREADS is defined in any case, either by putting it in
moredefs, or by adding the special conditional define.

The conditional "if moredefs" is not needed at all: the file needs to be
opened in any case, to define NPY_ALLOW_THREADS one way or other.

Greetings,
Norbert