[Numpy-discussion] [RFE] Suport for version 3 of array protocol in numarray

Francesc Altet faltet at carabos.com
Sat Aug 26 04:05:39 EDT 2006

Hi,

I've lately ran into problems in numarray-->numpy conversions which are due to
a lack of suport of the array procol version 3 on behalf of numarray. For
more info on this issue see:

http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/ticket/256

and

http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/ticket/266

Question: is the numarray crew going to add this support anytime soon? If not,
I'd advocate to retain support for version 2 in NumPy at least for sometime
(until numarray gets the support), although I don't know whether this will
complicate things a lot in NumPy.

I personally don't need this functionality as I've found a workaround for
PyTables (i.e. using the numpy.ndarray factory in order to create the NumPy
object directly from the numarray buffer), but I think this would be very
useful in helping other users (end-users mainly) in the numarray-->NumPy
transition.

Thanks,

V   V   Cárabos Coop. V.   Enjoy Data
 "-"