[Numpy-discussion] C Api newbie question

Matt Knox mattknox_ca at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 26 18:07:29 EDT 2006

Hi there. I'm in the unfortunate situation of trying to track down a memory error in someone elses code, and to make matters worse I don't really know jack squat about C programming. The problem seems to arise when several numpy arrays are created from C arrays in the C api and returned to python, and then trying to print out or cast to a string the resulting array. I think the problem may be happening due to the following chunk of code:
{
     PyObject* temp = PyArray_SimpleNewFromData(1, &numobjs, typeNum, dbValues);     PyObject* temp2 = PyArray_FromArray((PyArrayObject*)temp, ((PyArrayObject*)temp)->descr, DEFAULT_FLAGS | ENSURECOPY);     Py_DECREF(temp);     PyDict_SetItemString(returnVal, "data", temp2);     Py_DECREF(temp2);
}

Lets assume that all my other inputs up this point are fine and that numobjs, typeNum, and dbValues are fine. Is their anything obviously wrong with the above chunk of code? or does it appear ok? Ultimately the dictionary "returnVal" is returned by the function this code came from, and everything else is discarded. Any help is very greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

- Matt Knox