[Numpy-discussion] [ANN] NumPy 1.0b4 now available

Bruce Who bruce.who.hk at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 02:03:10 EDT 2006

Hi, Travis

I can pack my scripts into an executable with py2exe, but errors occur
once it runs:

No scipy-style subpackage 'random' found in D:\test\dist\numpy.
Ignoring: No module named info
import core -> failed: No module named _internal
import lib -> failed: 'module' object has no attribute '_ARRAY_API'
import linalg -> failed: 'module' object has no attribute '_ARRAY_API'
import dft -> failed: 'module' object has no attribute '_ARRAY_API'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "main.py", line 9, in ?
  File "numpy\__init__.pyc", line 49, in ?

  File "numpy\add_newdocs.pyc", line 2, in ?
    gkDc
  File "numpy\lib\__init__.pyc", line 5, in ?

  File "numpy\lib\type_check.pyc", line 8, in ?

  File "numpy\core\__init__.pyc", line 6, in ?

  File "numpy\core\umath.pyc", line 12, in ?

  File "numpy\core\umath.pyc", line 10, in __load

AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute '_ARRAY_API'

This is the main.py file:
#=======================================
# filename:main.py
import wx
import numpy

class myFrame(wx.Frame):
    def __init__(self, *args, **kwds):
        wx.Frame.__init__(self, *args, **kwds)
        ##------ your widgets
        ##------ put stuff into sizer
        self.sizer_ = wx.BoxSizer(wx.VERTICAL)
        ## self.sizer_.Add(your_ctrl, proportion = 1, flag = wx.EXPAND)

        ## apply sizer
        self.SetSizer(self.sizer_)
        self.SetAutoLayout(True)

def main():    ## {{{
    app = wx.PySimpleApp(0)
    frame = myFrame(None, -1, title = '')
    frame.Show(True)
    app.SetTopWindow(frame)
    app.MainLoop()
##   }}}

if __name__ == "__main__":main()
#=======================================
# filename:setup.py
import glob
import sys

from distutils.core import setup
import py2exe

includes = ["encodings",
            "encodings.*",
           ]

excludes = ["javax.comm"]

options = {
    "py2exe":
    {
        #"compressed": 1,
        #"optimize": 0,
        #"bundle_files":2,
        "skip_archive":1,
        "includes": includes,
        'excludes': excludes
    }
          }

setup(
    version = "0.1",
    description = "",
    name = "test",
    options = options,
    windows = [
        {
            "script":"main.py",
        }
        ],
    #zipfile = None,
    )

and I run this command to compile the scripts:
python setup.py py2exe

and all packages I use are:
python2.4.3
numpy-0.98
py2exe-0.6.5
wxpython-2.6.3.2

I unistalled Numeric before I compiled scripts.

If you google "numpy py2exe", you can find others guys stumbled by the
same issue with ease:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/py2exe-users/3249182
http://www.nabble.com/matplotlib,-numpy-and-py2exe-t1901429.html

I just hope this can be fixed in the next table release of numpy.

On 8/29/06, Travis Oliphant <oliphant.travis at ieee.org> wrote:
> bruce.who.hk wrote:
> > Hi, Travis
> >
> > I just wonder if NumPy 1.0b4 can get along with py2exe? Just a few weeks ago I made a application in Python. At first I used Numpy, it works OK, but I cannot pack it into a workable executable with py2exe and the XXX.log saied that numpy cannot find some module. I found some hints in py2exe wiki, but it still doesn't work. At Last I tried Numeric instead and it got OK. I just hope that you donnot stop the maintenance of Numeric before you are sure that Numpy can work with py2exe.
> >
> We've already stopped maintenance of Numeric nearly 1 year ago.    If
> NumPy doesn't work with py2exe then we need help figuring out why.  The
> beta-release period is the perfect time to fix that.  I've never used
> py2exe myself, but I seem to recall that some have been able to make it
> work.
>
> The problem may just be listing the right set of modules to carry along
> because you may not be able to get that with just the Python-side
> imports.  Post any errors you receive to
> numpy-discussion at lists.sourceforge.net
>
> Thanks,
>

> -Travis

Bruce Who