[Numpy-discussion] Release of 1.0b5 this weekend

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 15:06:38 EDT 2006

Hi Travis,

On 8/29/06, Travis Oliphant <oliphant.travis at ieee.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Classes start for me next Tuesday, and I'm teaching a class for which I
> will be using NumPy / SciPy extensively.  I need to have a release of
> these two (and hopefully matplotlib) that work with each other.
>
> Therefore, I'm going to make a 1.0b5 release of NumPy over the weekend
> (probably Monday), and also get a release of SciPy out as well.  At that
> point, I'll only be available for bug-fixes to 1.0.  Therefore, the next
> release after 1.0b5 I would like to be 1.0rc1 (release-candidate 1).
>
> To facilitate that, after 1.0b5 there will be a feature-freeze (except
> for in the compatibility modules and the alter_code scripts which can
> still be modified to ease the transition burden).

Speaking of features, I wonder if more of the methods should return
references. For instance, it might be nice to write something like:

a.sort().searchsorted([...])

instead of making two statements out of it.

The 1.0rc1 release of NumPy will be mid September I suspect.

> Also, I recognize that the default-axis switch is a burden for those who
> have already transitioned code to use NumPy (for those just starting out
> it's not a big deal because of the compatibility layer).

I am curious as to why you made this switch. Not complaining, mind.

Chuck