[Numpy-discussion] Release of 1.0b5 this weekend

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 15:11:47 EDT 2006

On 8/29/06, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> Speaking of features, I wonder if more of the methods should return
> references. For instance, it might be nice to write something like:
>
>  a.sort().searchsorted([...])
>
> instead of making two statements out of it.

+1 for more 'return self' at the end of methods which currently don't
return anything (well, we get the default None), as long as it's
sensible.  I really like this 'message chaining' style of programming,
and it annoys me that much of the python stdlib gratuitously prevents
it by NOT returning self in places where it would be a perfectly
sensible thing to do.

I find it much cleaner to write

x = foo.bar().baz(param).frob()

than