[Numpy-discussion] Handling of backward compatibility

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Thu Aug 3 01:42:05 EDT 2006

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006, Sebastian Haase apparently wrote:
> Recently someone (Torgil Svensson) here suggested to unify
> the default argument between a method and a function
> - I think the discussion was about numpy.var  and it's
> "axis" argument.  I would be a clear +1  on unifying these
> and have a clean design of numpy. Consequently the old way
> of different defaults should be absorbed by the oldnumeric
> sub module.

+1

I think this consistency is *really* important for the easy
acceptance of numpy by new users.  (For a user's
perspective, I also think is is just good design.)  I expect
many new users to be "burned" by this inconsistency.

However, as an intermediate run (say 1 year) transition
measure to the consistent use, I would be comfortable with
the numpy functions requiring an axis argument.

One user's view,
Alan Isaac