[Numpy-discussion] NumPy documentation

Gary Ruben gruben at bigpond.net.au
Sat Aug 5 22:28:19 EDT 2006

All excellent suggestions Albert.

What about creating a numpy version of either the main Numeric or
numarray document?

I would like to see examples included in numpy of all functions.
However, I think a better way to do this would be to place all examples
in a separate module and create a function such as example() which would
then allow something like example(arange) to spit out the example code.
This would make it easier to include multiple examples for each command
and to actually execute the example code, which I think is a necessary
ability to make the examples testable. Examples could go in like
doctests with some sort of delimiting so that they can have numbers
generated and be referred to, so that you could execute, say, the 3rd
example for the arange() function. Perhaps a runexample() function
should be created for this or perhaps provide arguments for the
example() function like example(name, number, run)

The Maxima CAS package has something like this and also has an apropos()
command which lists commands with similar sounding names to the
argument. We could implement something similar but better by searching
the examples module for similar commands, but also listing "See Also"
cross references like those in the Numpy_Example_List,

Gary R.