[Numpy-discussion] Segmentation Fault with Numeric 24.2 on Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger (8.7.0)

Daran L. Rife drife at ucar.edu
Thu Aug 10 12:36:15 EDT 2006

Hi Chris,

Thanks very much for your reply. My apology for the confusion.
To be clear, I am a veteran user of Numeric not numpy. I tried
installing four versions of Numeric: 23.8, 24.0, 24.1, and 24.2.
My Python distro is built from source, using the GCC 4.0.1 suite
of compilers. I am running all of this on a Mac G5 PowerPC with
Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger (8.7.0). All branches of Numeric 24.x cause a
"Segmentation Fault". The scripts I was running this against are
a bit complex, so it is not so easy for me to sort out when/where
the failure occurs. I'll keep doing some testing and see if I can
get a better idea for what seems to be the issue.

I'd very like much like to move to numpy, but I have code that
needs to be working -now-, so at this point I am more interested
in Numeric; I am an adept user of Numeric, and I know it works well
on Debian Linux boxes.

I will try your suggestion of installing and running the pre-built
packages at <http://www.pythonmac.org/packages/py24-fat/>.

Thanks again for your patience and for your help.

Daran