[Numpy-discussion] A minor annoyance with MA

Paul Dubois pfdubois at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 18:20:44 EDT 2006

Whatever the current state of the implementation, the original intention was
that ma be, where it makes sense, a "drop-in" replacement for numpy arrays.
Being retired I don't read this list all that carefully but I did see some
subjects concerning axis defaults (about the 98th time we have had that
discussion I suppose) and perhaps ma and numpy got out of sync, even if they
were in sync to begin with.

For sum, x.sum() should be the sum of the entire array, no? And that implies
a default of None, doesn't it? So a default of zero or one would be wrong.

Oh well, back to my nap.