[Numpy-discussion] stumped numpy user seeks help

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 19:26:23 EDT 2006

On 8/29/06, Keith Goodman <kwgoodman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/29/06, Mathew Yeates <myeates at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>
> > I have an M by N array of floats. Associated with the columns are
> > character labels
> > ['a','b','b','c','d','e','e','e']  note: already sorted so duplicates
> > are contiguous
> >
> > I want to replace the 2 'b' columns with the sum of the 2 columns.
> > Similarly, replace the 3 'e' columns with the sum of the 3 'e' columns.
>
> Make a cumsum of the array. Find the index of the last 'a', last 'b',
> etc and make the reduced array from that. Then take the diff of the
> columns.
>
> I know that's vague, but so is my understanding of python/numpy.
>
> Or even more vague: make a function that does what you want.

Or you could use searchsorted on the labels to get a sequence of ranges.
What you have is a sort of binning applied to columns instead of values in a
vector. Or, if the overhead isn't to much, use a dictionary of with (keys:
array) entries. Index thru the columns adding keys, when the key is new
insert a column copy, when it is already present add the new column to the
old one.

Chuck