[Numpy-discussion] slow numpy.clip ?

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 22:51:32 EST 2006

On 12/19/06, David Cournapeau <david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:

> Travis Oliphant wrote:
> > Robert Kern wrote:
> >> David Cournapeau wrote:

<snip>

When I went back to home, I started taking a close look a numpy/core C
> sources, with the help of the numpy ebook. The huge source files make it
> really difficult for me to follow some things: I was wondering if there
> is some rationale behind it, or if this is just a remain of old
> developments of numpy.
>
> The main problem I have with those huge files is that I am confused
> between the functions parts of the public API, the one for backward
> compatibility, etc... I wanted to extract the PyArray_TakeFom function
> to see where the time is spent, but this is quite difficult, because of
> various dependencies.
>
> My question is then: is there any plan to change this ? If not, is this
> for some reasons I don't see, or is this just because of lack of manpower
> ?

I raised the possibility of breaking up the files before and Travis was
agreeable to the idea. It is still in the back of my mind but I haven't got
around to doing anything about it. Maybe we should put together a step by
step approach, agree on some file names for the new files, fix the build so
it loads in the new stub files in the correct order, and then start moving
stuff. My own original desire was to break out the keyword parsers into a
separate file but I think Travis had different priorities.

Chuck