[Numpy-discussion] Profiling numpy ? (parts written in C)

Francesc Altet faltet at carabos.com
Wed Dec 20 03:48:48 EST 2006

A Dimecres 20 Desembre 2006 07:59, David Cournapeau escrigué:
> Could you detail a bit how you did the profiling with oprofile ? I don't
> manage to get the same results than you (that is on per application
> basis when the application is a python script and not a 'binary' program)

Sure. You need first to start the profiler with:

opcontrol --start

then run your application, for example:

python2.5 /tmp/clipb2.py

after this you should instruct oprofile to stop collecting samples:

opcontrol --stop

now, you need to tell oprofile that you want a report on the binary
you have run (i.e. your interpreter):

opreport -l /usr/local/bin/python2.5  # put there your actual path

That's all.

Remember to reset all the samples in oprofile each time you want to
start a new run (otherwise the samples will accumulate from run to
run):

opcontrol --reset

You can get more info in:

http://oprofile.sourceforge.net/docs/