[Numpy-discussion] Newbie Question, Probability

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Thu Dec 21 16:10:37 EST 2006

Mark Janikas wrote:
> Thanks for all the input so far.  The only thing that seems odd about
> the omission of probability or quantile functions in NumPy is that all
> the random number generators are present in RandomArray.
A big part of the issue is that getting many of those pdfs into NumPy
would require putting many special functions into NumPy (some of which
are actually coded in Fortran).

I much prefer to make SciPy an easy install for as many people as
possible and/or work on breaking up SciPy into modular components that
can be installed separately if needed.   This was my original intention
--- to make NumPy as small as possible.  It's current size is driven by
backwards compatibility, only.

-Travis