[Numpy-discussion] Newbie Question, Probability

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Dec 21 16:08:15 EST 2006

A key thing to remember here is that each user has their particular set
of "small things" that are all they need from scipy -- put us all
together, and you have SciPy -- that's what it is for.

> As a user, I suggest that this becomes a reasonable goal
> when up to date SciPy installers are maintained for all
> target platforms.

All it takes is someone to do it.

Also, there was talk of "modularizing" scipy so that it would be easy to
install only those bits you need -- in particular, the non-Fortran stuff
should be trivial to build.

> Macs are
> increasingly popular among my students

It can be a pain to build this kind of thing on OS-X, as Apple has not
supported a Fortran compiler yet, but it can (and has) been done. IN
fact, the Mac is a great target for pre-built binaries as there is only
a small variety of hardware to support, and Apple supplies LAPACK/BLAS
libs with the system. As for distributing it, the archive at:

pythonmac.org/packages

takes submissions from anyone -- just send a note to the pythonmac list
-- that list is a great help in figuring out how to build stuff too.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov