[Numpy-discussion] numpy install on mac os x 10.4

Erin Sheldon erin.sheldon at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 15:17:20 EST 2006

On 12/31/06, Christopher Barker <Chris.Barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
> Erin Sheldon wrote:
> > You can do this quite simply with fink
>
> I've generally stayed away form fink, as it felt like kind of a separate
> system within OS-X, rather than integrated -- kind of like cygwin.
>
> In particular, if you use Fink Python, can you:
>
> 1) Write apps that use the native GUI (not X), in particular, PyObjC,
> wx-Mac, and TK-aqua.
>
> 2) Bundle up apps with Py2App, or otherwise create self contained
> application bundles?
>
> 3) Universal (PPC+Intel) anything.
>
> Apart from "feel", I think those are the concrete reasons to use
> MacPython, rather than fink. Please correct me if I'm got a wrong (or
> outdated) impression.

Hi Chris -

I think you are correct.  The solution I posted is not
a long term solution for the eventual average numpy/scipy user. It was
just a response to Belinda's original need for "Advice on a painless
way to install scipy on my G5 OS X 10.4.8 mac".  I don't mind waiting
for things to compile so it seems painless to me.

Erin