[Numpy-discussion] Is there a known problem compiling numpy with VC7? Success

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Thu Feb 9 09:30:03 EST 2006

Tim Hochberg wrote:

>> I'm trying to incorporate your changes.
>

> Great.
>

> OK, we'll have to work out something that works for both. The issue
> here on windows is that compiling the testcode requires python.lib,
> and it doesn't get found unless that directory is specified. The
> problem is perhaps related to the following comment in system_info.py
>
> if sys.platform == 'win32': # line 116
>    default_lib_dirs = ['C:\\'] # probably not very helpful...

I added the change you made in setup.py to default_lib_dirs, here.  See
if this fixes it.

>> 3) For the setup.py file in random you are using Advapi for all win32
>> platforms.  But, this seems to be a windows NT file
>

> I'm compiling on XP FWIW.
>
>> or at least only needed when compiling with certain compilers.
>> Mingw32 built just fine without it.   So, I'm not sure how to handle
>> this.

I see now.  On _WIN32 platforms it's using the registry instead of the
file system to store things.  I modified the random/setup.py script to
test for _WIN32 in the compiler and add the dll to the list of libraries
if it is found.   I'm also reading the configuration file to determine
MATHLIB.

Can you try out the new SVN and see if it builds for you without
modification.

-Travis