[Numpy-discussion] Re: [SciPy-user] Where do I put site.cfg? What should it contain? Can I build w/o atlas?

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Wed Feb 15 13:22:18 EST 2006

Robert Kern wrote:

>skip at pobox.com wrote:
>

>>I'm trying to build numpy an svn sandbox (just updated a couple minutes
>>ago).  If I grub around in numpy/distutils/system_info.py it says something
>>about creating a site.cfg file with (for example) information about locating
>>atlas.  It says nothing about where this file belongs.
>>

>Sure it does. "The file 'site.cfg' in the same directory as this module is read
>for configuration options." I think it's a really bad place for it to be, but
>that is the state of affairs right now.

So, in particular, does this mean that it is read from (relative to the
location of the main setup.py file)

numpy/distutils/site.cfg ??

Yes, that is a bad place.   We need some suggestions as to where
site.cfg should be read from.

I think you can set the environment variable ATLAS to 'None' and it will
ignore ATLAS...  I believe this is true of any of the configuration
options.

-Travis