[Numpy-discussion] Re: [SciPy-user] Where do I put site.cfg? What should it contain? Can I build w/o atlas?

David M. Cooke cookedm at physics.mcmaster.ca
Wed Feb 15 14:06:02 EST 2006

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 03:45:33PM -0600, Robert Kern wrote:
> Travis Oliphant wrote:
>
> > So, in particular, does this mean that it is read from (relative to the
> > location of the main setup.py file)
> >
> > numpy/distutils/site.cfg ??
>
> Yes. And in the case of scipy, it needs to be in the *installed* numpy/distutils
> directory.
>
> > Yes, that is a bad place.   We need some suggestions as to where
> > site.cfg should be read from.
>
> Next to the setup.py that *invokes* numpy.distutils. AFAICT using os.getcwd() in
> system_info.py will give you this directory even if you start running the script
> from a different directory (e.g. "python ~/svn/scipy/setup.py install"). I can
> check this in if we agree that this is what we want.

As a note: Python's distutils looks for distutils.cfg in it's installed
location (/usr/lib/python2.4/distutils or whatever), then in
~/.pydistutils.cfg (or $HOME/pydistutils.cfg on non-Posix systems like
Windows), then for setup.cfg in the current directory. Keys in later files
override ones in earlier files.