[Numpy-discussion] Re: Some missing linalg things (wanted: LU decomposition)

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 22:49:05 EST 2006

Ack.  I may be able to get references to lu, lu_factor, et al, but they
don't actually work with numpy arrays:

from scipy.linalg import lu,lu_factor,lu_solve
import scipy as S
A = S.rand(2,2)
lu(A)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<input>", line 1, in ?
  File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\scipy\linalg\decomp.py", line 249, in
lu
    flu, = get_flinalg_funcs(('lu',),(a1,))
  File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\scipy\linalg\flinalg.py", line 30, in
get_flinalg_funcs
    t = arrays[i].dtypechar
AttributeError: 'numpy.ndarray' object has no attribute 'dtypechar'

Ok, so, once again, does anyone have an lu_factor / lu_solve implementation
in python that I could borrow?

Apologies for the monologue.

--bb