[Numpy-discussion] Simplest ndarray subclass __new__ possible?

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Mon Feb 27 08:50:10 EST 2006

On Feb 27, 2006, at 5:06 AM, Colin J. Williams wrote:
> [snip]
> Would there be any merit in breaking this into two parts, __new__
> to allocate space and __init__ to initialize the data?

What I presented below is exactly the __new__ grabbed from the matrix
class definition in defmatrix.py (less matrix-specific stuff). I
assume it's overkill for what I need, but it seemed like a good
starting place. Figuring out what bits are really necessary and what
bits aren't would be step 1, before I can even think about whether
some of the bits should really live in __init__ (though I can't
actually see any of the below lining in init, because most of the
code is given over to deciding whether or not to allocate space).

Zach