[Numpy-discussion] bug with NO_IMPORT_ARRAY / PY_ARRAY_UNIQUE_SYMBOL? was Re: [SciPy-user] segfault when calling PyArray_DescrFromType

Martin Wiechert martin.wiechert at gmx.de
Sat Feb 11 10:52:02 EST 2006

Hi Travis,

thanks for your help!

I think there is a small bug with NO_IMPORT_ARRAY / PY_ARRAY_UNIQUE_SYMBOL in
numpy-0.9.4. For ease of reference I've pasted part of __multiarray_api.h
below.

The problem I ran into is, that my "non-importing" source files, the ones
defining NO_IMPORT_ARRAY, cannot see PyArray_API, because they obviously
cannot know which name I chose in the importing file.

E.g. I do

#define PY_ARRAY_UNIQUE_SYMBOL my_name

in the file which calls import_array (). Then the object generated will not
have the symbol PyArray_API, because PyArray_API is replaced with my_name.

But the sources with NO_IMPORT_ARRAY look for PyArray_API, because for them it
is not replaced. Indeed inserting

#define PyArray_API my_name

into these files seems to fix the problem for me.

Regards,
Martin.

#if defined(PY_ARRAY_UNIQUE_SYMBOL)
#define PyArray_API PY_ARRAY_UNIQUE_SYMBOL
#endif

#if defined(NO_IMPORT) || defined(NO_IMPORT_ARRAY)
extern void **PyArray_API;
#else
#if defined(PY_ARRAY_UNIQUE_SYMBOL)
void **PyArray_API;