[Numpy-discussion] algorithm, optimization, or other problem?

Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 07:16:07 EST 2006

Hi,
In the current version, note that Y is scalar so replace the squaring
(Y**2) with Y*Y as you do in the dohebb function.  On my system
without blas etc removing the squaring removes a few seconds (16.28 to
12.4). It did not seem to help factorizing Y.

Also, eta and tau are constants so define them only once as scalars
outside the loops and do the division outside the loop. It only saves
about 0.2 seconds but these add up.

The inner loop probably can be vectorized because it is just vector
operations on a matrix. You are just computing over the ith dimension
of X.  I think that you could be able to find the matrix version on
the net.

Regards
Bruce