[Numpy-discussion] dtype attribute missing in numarray

Sebastian Haase haase at msg.ucsf.edu
Wed Jan 4 17:22:21 EST 2006

Hi,
In an effort to follow the scipy_core development I just got the latest CVS
version of numarray.
I was mainly interested in changing my code (and the tutorial that I write)
slowly but surely to use 'dtype' instead of 'type'.
So I get this:
>>> na.__version__
'1.5.1'
>>> a = na.arange(10,dtype=na.float32)   # great !
>>> a.dtypechar
'f'
>>> a.type()
Float32
>>> a.dtype
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<input>", line 1, in ?
AttributeError: 'NumArray' object has no attribute 'dtype'

Is there a reason for not having the 'dtype' attribute !? I *really* never
liked the need for parenthesis when using 'a.type()' ...

Thanks,
Sebastian Haase