[Numpy-discussion] arrayobject.h (and friends) install location

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Tue Jan 17 18:23:02 EST 2006

Andrew Straw wrote:

>The main advantage of the current situation for me is that it's easy to
>use with .eggs (for the reasons given). The symlink idea won't break
>this, but the "let's make it like it was" solution would break it (which
>was why it was changed). Can anyone think of a solution that would
>please both the old-way-preferers and the .egg users?

This is the important point in this discussion.   There was a reason it
was changed.  I remember opposing the change, originally.  However, it
solved a real problem and only required people to give up their
arbitrary notions of where include files *should* be.  I don't see this
as a real issue since you can get where the include files are very easily.

But more than that, I don't see how we can change the current behavior
until a solution is found that will also work for the people who forged
the current solution in the first place.

With that, however, I think it would be helpful for one of those people
who use .eggs to clarify why it solves their problem to have the include
files in their current location.

-Travis