[SciPy-dev] [Numpy-discussion] Re: numpy/scipy some remarks

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Wed Jan 18 11:03:00 EST 2006

Travis Oliphant wrote:

>>3) pkgload() exists to support the loading of subpackages. It does not reach
>>into numpy.dft or numpy.linalg at all. It is not relevant to this issue.
>>
>>4) There are some places in numpy that use numpy.dual.
>>
>>I think we can address all of your concerns by changing #4.
>>

> This is an accurate assessment.  However,  I do not want to eliminate
> number 4 as I've mentioned before.   I think there is a place for having
> functions that can be over-written with better versions.   I agree that
> it could be implemented better, however, with some kind of register
> function instead of automatically looking in scipy...

Mmh, I think I'm confused then: it seemed to me that pkgload() WAS overwriting
numpy names, from the messages which the environment variable controls.  Is
that not true?  Here's a recent thread:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/scipy-dev/2974044

where this was shown:

In [3]: import scipy
Overwriting fft=<function fft at 0x2000000001474668>  from
scipy.fftpack.basic (was <function fft at 0x2000000001394a28>  from
numpy.dft.fftpack)
Overwriting ifft=<function ifft at 0x20000000014746e0>  from
scipy.fftpack.basic (was <function inverse_fft at 0x2000000001394aa0>  from
numpy.dft.fftpack)

I understood this as 'scipy.fftpack.basic.fft overwrote
numpy.dft.fftpack.fft'.  Does this then not affect the numpy namespace at all?

I also would like to propose that, rather than using an environment variable,
pkgload() takes a 'verbose=' keyword (or 'quiet=').  I think it's much cleaner
to say

pkgload(quiet=1) or pkgload(verbose=0)

than relying on users configuring env. variables for something like this.

Cheers,