[Numpy-discussion] Numpy x Matlab: some synthetic benchmarks

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Wed Jan 18 11:49:03 EST 2006

Andrew Straw wrote:

> Here's an idea Fernando and I have briefly talked about off-list, but
> which perhaps bears talking about here: Is there speed to be gained by
> an alternative, very simple, very optimized ndarray constructor? The
> idea would be a special-case constructor with very limited
> functionality designed purely for speed. It wouldn't support (m)any of
> the fantastic things Travis has done, but would be useful only in
> specialized use cases, such as creating indices.

The general purpose constructor is

PyArray_NewFromDescr(...)

I suspect this could be special cased for certain circumstances and the
special-case called occasionally. Their are checks on the dimensions
that could be avoided in certain circumstances (like when we are getting
the dimensions from another arrayobject already...)

We could also inline the __array_from_strides code...

Besides that, I'm not sure what else to optimize...

-Travis