[Numpy-discussion] Numpy x Matlab: some synthetic benchmarks

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Wed Jan 18 11:56:07 EST 2006

> Here's an idea Fernando and I have briefly talked about off-list, but
> which perhaps bears talking about here: Is there speed to be gained by
> an alternative, very simple, very optimized ndarray constructor? The
> idea would be a special-case constructor with very limited
> functionality designed purely for speed. It wouldn't support (m)any of
> the fantastic things Travis has done, but would be useful only in
> specialized use cases, such as creating indices.
>
> I'm not familiar enough with what the normal constructor does to know
> if we could implement something, (in C, perhaps) that would do nothing
> but create a simple, contiguous array significantly faster than what
> is currently done. Or does the current constructor create a new
> instance about as fast as possible? I know Travis has optimized it,
> but it's a general purpose constructor, and I'm thinking these extra
> features may take some extra CPU cycles.

I think the indexing code will be slower because it is more
sophisticated than Numeric's.   Basically, it has to check for fancy
indexing before defaulting to the old way.   I see this as more of a
slow-down than array creation.   It might be possible to improve it ---
more eyeballs are always helpful.  But, I'm not sure how at this point.

-Travis