[Numpy-discussion] Numpy x Matlab: some synthetic benchmarks

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Wed Jan 18 17:00:01 EST 2006

On Jan 18, 2006, at 6:21 PM, Fernando Perez wrote:

> Perry Greenfield wrote:
>> It's not a new idea. I raised it some time ago and I don't think it
>> was
>
> I wasn't claiming authorship, sorry if it sounded like that :)  In
> fact, I remember specifically talking with you about this at scipy'03,
> in the context of small array performance issues for the
> at-the-time-nascent numarray, and I'm sure similar things have been
> done many times before.  I've had it floating in my head since I first
> saw blitz, back in 2001, and blitz probably got it from...  There's
> nothing really new under the sun ;)

Really :-). I remember that conversation and wondered if it had
something to do with that. (And I remember Paul Dubois talking to me
about similar ideas).  I think it is worth trying (and has been I see,
though I would have expected perhaps even a greater speed improvement;
somehow I think it should not take a lot of time if you don't need all
the type, shape and striding flexibility). It just needs someone to do
it.

>> new then either. I have to believe that if you allowed only Float64
>> (and perhaps a complex variant) and used other restrictions then it
>> would be much faster for small arrays. One would think it would be
>> much  easier to implement than Numeric/numarray/numpy... I've always
>> thought  that those looking for really fast small array performance
>> would be  better served by something like this. But you'd really have
>> to fight  off feature creep. ("This almost meets my needs. If it
>> could only do  xxx")
>
> Couldn't that last issue be well dealt with by the fact that today's
> numpy is fairly subclassing-friendly? (which, if I remember correctly,
> wasn't quite the case with at least old Numeric).

Does that help? You aren't talking about the fast array subclassing
numpy are you? I'm not  sure what you mean here.

Perry