[Numpy-discussion] Re: Passing context in __array__

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Wed Jan 18 17:21:09 EST 2006

Alexander Belopolsky wrote:

>On 1/18/06, Travis Oliphant <oliphant at ee.byu.edu> wrote:
>

>>This mail got placed in my junk folder so I did not see it until now.
>>Sorry about the confusion...
>>

>To add to the confusion, I've interpreted your previous e-mail as "go
>ahead" and commited the changes.  Hopefuly your concerns can be
>addressed and I will not have to retract the change.

That is actually fine.  I don't mind having changes in SVN that we
discuss and fix.  It's what its for.  As long as it builds, then great...

I went ahead and altered the C-API based on your desired use and changed
numpy to work with it.

This means that the SVN version of NumPy requires a recompilation of
extension modules....

Some of my previous comments did not understand how you had implemented
the routine.  Hopefully what's in SVN now works correctly (it passes
your tests...)

>Yes, I agree and confessed to this problem in the comments to my code.
> However, I did not want to touch PyArray_FromAny because it is part
>of published C API.  The best solution would be to expose parts of
>PyArray_FromAny in C API and use those in ufunc code.

We are pre 1.0 and so I don't have too much problems adding an extra
context argument to the PyArray_FromAny call :-)

I've also simplified things a bit, too.   I moved array_fromobject to
PyArray_FromAny and renamed PyArray_FromAny to
PyArray_CheckFromAny(...)  as it has a couple more checks to ensure
DEFAULT_FLAGS are set when ENSURECOPY is set and to check for the
NOTSWAPPED requirement...  Often flags is 0 or does not have these FLAGS
(or we have a native byte-order descriptor anyway and so the NOTSWAPPED
requirement is redundant) and so the simpler PyArray_FromAny
can be used.

Most people are still using PyArray_ContiguousFromObject and friends
anyway and so the change doesn't affect them at all.

-Travis