[Numpy-discussion] bdist_egg trips up over non-extension extensions

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Tue Jan 24 12:37:05 EST 2006

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Robert Kern wrote:

> Pearu Peterson wrote:
>> Could you try recent version of numpy from SVN? __config__.py is now
>> generated via py_modules list.
>
> It doesn't build an egg, yet, because setuptools expects Distribution.py_modules
> to contain only strings, not tuples. Modifying setuptools to handle tuples in
> Distribution.py_modules seems to work. Is there any way you can do it without
> tuples?

Source generators in numpy.distutils are extensions to distutils and if
setuptools assumes std distutils then source generators will remain a
problem for setuptools. However, if you call build_src then all source
generators will be resolved (including 3-tuples in py_modules list) and
the file lists in distribution instance should not cause any problems for
setuptools.

So, would calling `setup.py build_src bdist_egg` be an acceptable
solution?

__config__.py files could also be handled as data files but that would
require hooks in numpy.core.setup function and we want to get rid of
numpy.core.setup in future.

Pearu