[Numpy-discussion] Numerical Mathematics Consortium vs. scipy and numpy

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Jan 30 13:39:10 EST 2006

Alan G Isaac wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, Christopher Barker apparently wrote:
>> how does one get the open source community to be
>> represented in this kind of thing?
>
> http://www.nmconsortium.org/FldRte/?id=70&page=Downloads

Were you pointing us to any particular document there?

Full membership (that is, with voting rights) requires a $2500.00 a year
membership fee. I think it'll be a bit tricky for an open source project
to raise that kind of cash. The result is that you have to buy your way
into the group, which favors commercial entities.

Granted, they have operating expenses, and $2500 isn't all that much,
but it's probably too much for open-source groups to get representation.

An associate membership is $250./year, which is far more manageable, but
then you don't get voting rights:

"""
The Associate Membership with no voting rights will have full access to
the consortium’s output and be engaged in some of the consortium’s
activities and is typically for the user community, both academia and
industry ($200 annual fee).
"""

The SciPy community is not a "user" group, it's a developer group. there
are other open source projects worth of representation, such as the GNU
Scientific Library.

Oh well.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov